Saturday, October 07, 2006

Road trip!!

Well that was fast, fun and surprisingly painless! AF is a great travel partner and she made the trip fly by.
Up at 6:30 (well I actually woke about 4:30 and tossed until the alarm went off). Got to the ranch to quickly do chores and we were out of town by 8.

No, I won't wait in a 4 car line for a cup of coffee. But 2 cars, well, O K.

I haven't made the drive to Redding in almost 10 years. I had been partway about 3 years ago, to Weaverville on another goat/ semen exchange, and it was at about the same time of the year. That year was also a bad fire year, and the scorched hillsides and smell of smoke was also apparent. This year the fire crews were still in attandance with encampments that look like a rock concert.

We made it to Redding in plenty of time in less than 4 hours. The truck we were meeting was runing behind schedule so we bivouacked at the Burger King, where, it turned out, Amy had regularly done the same many years ago as part of a dalmation rescue/ transport ( fallout from 101 disneys).
We ate, and waited, and waited long enough that the truck of bucks I had fought enough to break the rear window of my cap. The same one I had so proudly repaired last spring. Well, at least I know just how to fix it, and a temporary suture of black tape did the trick for now.

The truck finally arrived with a load of does that she had picked up from yet another breeder and brought to us. Yep, we made the exchange right in the Redding Burger King parking lot. Our does look good, and it seems everyone was happy with all of the purchases.
It was all so easy that I almost forgot that I was getting a nice fat check..!

Then right back down 299 we went. It was warm and sunny and the afternoon was really great for the drive home.
I made it through the 2:00 naptime doldrums and we stopped at the Whiskeytown dam to check out the Glory hole, which was not flowing this time of the year, but was still nonetheless a creepy and stomach turning site.

A stop at a thrift store in Willow Creek (screech..THRIFT STORE!!!...) and back to the coast just in time for Friday rush hour, as much as it was, which wasn't bad at all, and then we're unloading our new charges and checking them out.

That ride was so easy I wouldn't mind doing it again. Probably was the great company, so I might have to bribe her.
I also shouldn't have had that double shot mocha at 4 as I was exhausted but unable to sleep when I got home and decompressed. I'm still a little logey as I fell asleep at about 10 but than was wide awake at 11 until almost 3.

It also seems we missed the only sunny day here for the past week as it's dark and dreary again today.

Still no word on my status at the ranch. One day at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home