Thursday, December 08, 2005

25 years ago, and 125 years ago

December 8, 1980.

I was living in Park Slope, Brooklyn; working full time at my dad's cousin's camera shop near Herald Square.

New York was a pretty scary place in those years. I liked it. I miss the edge it had. Like most of America, New York has lately become Disneyfied and Wal-Mart ized, whitewashed and soft. Although, on the plus side, I do like the clean subways.

I don't remember exactly when I heard about Lennon being shot, but I don't think I was shocked. Plus, Lennon was (still is) my least favorite Beatle ( I am a hard ass).

It was like in the 60's when someone was always being assasinated, shot, war news casualties; another shooting in New York during that time( Son of Sam, etc) just didn't affect me much. The whole "Strawberry Fields" thing that followed pretty much disgusted me, it was just so lame.
I mean Strawberry Fields? Geez... Sap sap sappy.


BTW, I am a huge Beatles fan. Always have been. I DO remember where I was when I saw them on The Ed Sullivan Show. And at present, Ringo is my favorite Beatle..but Paul has always been the main man. I still have my original McCartney album (as well as most of my original Beatle albums)

The Dakota roughly 1880

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home