Sunday, December 11, 2005

Psst..buddy...need hay?

Yesterday, Ted and I worked on the new long fence line at the ranch. I want to put in 2 more braces in the line and I have a pile of big fenceposts to use. Since the field is unusually dry for this time of the year ( so I am able to drive the tractor on it), the best method to put in fenceposts is to cut the ends to a point ( like a pencil) and push them into the ground. Lacking a fancepost pounder for the tractor, then next best way is to shove them in with the bottom of the loader bucket.
Ted brought his chainsaw and cut 3 posts and then ran out of mix. So I thought it best to get those 3 posts in the ground ( a few were pieces of a cut up utility pole I scored when one was replaced on our road).

We got the first one set and I shoved it down with the tractor and it stopped. I pounded a few times and realised I should get more weight in the bucket. So I went and scooped up some dirt, tearing apart a water line that was buried there. Of course, another project now. (I bent the live side of the pipe back and tied it with some baling string)
WE got the other 3 set in pretty well by pushing and then pounding; they're not in as deep as I would like, but they are definitely set in there solid.




After coming back home and getting mix we went to set one more so I would have 2 sets for 2 braces. Halfway through this post I ran out of diesel. I am the barely effective farmer.
The rest I can finish by myself mostly, although Ted should cut the cross member with the chainsaw; I try not to do the chainsaw.

This morning as I drove to the ranch I see that I have a new set of twin lambs born during the night! Yay for me! I was kinda hoping to be getting some more lambs soon, and finally a set of twins. And I think they are both ram lambs..finally.

Here is mom with the new additions:



Farming animals means you are pretty much addicted to hay. Can I get hay? Where can I get some more? I am running out; gotta find some hay.
My neighbors have a good connection for hay, but getting it seems to be a bit of trouble. So today when they called and said we could go get some, I was totally thrilled; and I wasn't even out of hay from the last load yet!
Some truck co ordination, then I pulled out my tiny flatbed, as the Ford seems to be having distance driving problems ( although the hay was only 10 miles away), and they borrowed a big flatbed from a friend, but it was having starting trouble so it wasn't to be shut off.
Away we went, and got to the barn and loaded up both trucks and the tiny trailer.
It is the best to have a big load of hay.
Absolute ( although short term) peace of mind. Everyone will have enough to eat for a while. I'm good for over a month.
And just one of the new lambs, once sold, will more than cover all the hay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home