Sunday, January 22, 2006

Day 2: Alpine Meadows

Well maybe I won't get into the problems we had finding lodging and food last night. The problem being, this has turned out to be the first good snow the Sierras have seen all winter, and the conditions are fantastic, so everyone and their entire family is here. And hungry. And ready to eat all at the same time last night.
It was a joke.
At one point ( if I wasn't so tired and hungry it would have been funny) Ted says "You know, this is what happened to the Donner Party. It wasn't that they were stranded; all these restaurants were here then. They just couldn't get a table"
We did eventually find a room and some food. We didn't chew any limbs off.

Today we decided to go to Alpine Meadows, mostly because the lift tickets seemed to be cheaper. It was another clear and beautiful day, a bit colder (20 degrees when we headed out) which really made for absolutely perfect snow conditions.
The ski area is huge, 6000 acres, numerous mountains.
I saw Lake Tahoe for the first time from the top of one of the chairlifts.
Ted has some nice pics on his blog.

My only complaint is the snowboarders. They are a loud and obnoxious bunch, no style nor manners. I was almost creamed by them on more than one occasion. Fortunately the sound of the snowboard gives warning that they are approaching fast.

I did get myself in a little over my head by mistake when we took a wrong turn at the top of one of the runs. I had a few moments of panic and stress while Ted ( who is much more daring and never gets over his head) helped me out of the pickle. I didn't fall all day, but that was frustrating and scary and it took me a run or two to get my confidence back. I am a very cautious skiier.

Here I am on the Scott lift, very steep ride straight up the cliffs. You can see a braver skiier than I conquering the powder near the lift. This is how Ted skis when he is off on his own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home