Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Rain Redux

Alright, I know, we did have 2 whole days without water falling from the sky; what am I complaining about? Sheesh..
Yes, what a surprise, it is pouring down rain. On the positive side, it is much warmer and I can live without a fire in the stove for the first time in days.

Yesterday J & S ( my landlords) brought me 2 25' long utility poles to replace the ones about to come down. At some point (when the water table is more than 1 ' below the surface)we'll have to figure out how to get big holes dug and how to get these behemoths erected. That's going to be a learning experience. J & S had bought a whole trailer load, maybe 8 of them, I think they are going to use the rest for fence posts? Their ranch is like a dream fantasy, a huge spread right on the ocean. I have gathered cows for them with the waves and sea lions on my right and steep canyons and rugged pasture on my left. However, this salt air environment is really rough on fence maintenance as anything metal rusts away within 10 years, and they have miles and miles of fenceline.

J F is going through a rough time with her dying sister in the hospital. One thing about having people die in ones family is that I am much better equipped now as to what to say to people when they are going through terrible times like this. Also, living in this small town, even though people here live to be unusually old, they do pass eventually, and you know the relatives and you know the people. And you see them and you talk to them and you learn the language of death and mourning.
I do hope both J and her sister find relief soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home