Friday, January 06, 2006

Domestic Torture

It was so clean at the ranch. I had it getting so tidy, so organized. The lawn mowed, the pens dry and well bedded.
My barn was clean and dry and the goats were so cozy in their big dry barn.
I had my shop all ready for the welder. It was clean, organized, new lighting.

Then 2 feet of water and mud and silt was deposited all over my entire ranch.
When the water left I now have deep wet soggy muddy bedding, goopy silt, the worst conditions imaginable.
No electricity and no idea when that will be remedied.
The barn roof I labored all last summer to patch and re roof is scattered around about 2 acres. The remaining roof is so full of holes it might almost not be there at all. And that's the only barn I have that is up high enough to have escaped the water from below. Ironic? No, just hellacious torture.
The flood without the wind would have been hell enough. The wind without the flood would have caused a major disaster. Thanks, world, for the combo.

It seems like an insurmountable task to get this cleaned up, yet I pick at it with pitchfork, shovel and wheelbarrow.
One forkful at a time. The Aegean goat barn. Guaranteed I'll get it cleaned out just in time for the next flood.

I want a dry barn. I want lights at night.
I want to play with my welder.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I want a dry barn and lights too.

I have a river in my barn right now. Ok, well not the RIVER you had... but I have little wee ever running river running RIGHT down the middle of my barn. I hate gophers. I hate rats. I hate anything that burrows and send this rivers flowing through my barn in the winter. Today, I dug water ways IN the barn to divert the water into a smaller mess, I hope.
And every time I think about how much of a PITA this is, I think.. well at least it wasn't 6' of water! If Bill wasn't working this weekend I'd offer our assistance, how about maybe Monday. I'll ask him, but I'm sure he'd be willing to help.

6:03 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

I am so so sick of this. And the healing has only just begun.
It would be so much easier if I had any of these:
The tractor ( now trapped behind the barn, battery dead)
Power at the ranch (would help with jumping the tractor)
Barn roof

ack

No, it was only 2 1/2 ft. So much better.
I wonder if it's even worth cleaning it up. I mean, this could easily happen again. and again.

And some of the does now have foot rot. That'll be easy to cure in mud land.

Tell me a story about dry warm lands where happy animals romp in green pastures?

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home