Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Snow is better than rain

Regarding the crappy weather we have in this area ( wet and chilly damp winters, damp and foggy summers) I have found out a few things.(not to mention the earthquakes)

When I ask people why they live here, they mostly say "well wherever you live it's always something, hurricanes, tornados". But then I ask a poignant question "where else have you lived"?. So far, the answer has been "well, only here..".

That explains why people live here. They don't know any better. They think that numerous emergency situations every year is normal life on earth.. The wherever there's hurricanes. they get hurricanes every year. Tornadoes hit every part of the mid west every year.

I realized that I am the most travelled person I know. I have been many many places in this country, and maybe that's why I know that it doesn't have to be like this. North east, north west, inter mountain west, mid atlantic, New England, life isn't like that there.

Another friend said "Well the flood is better than lots of snow".( also, never lived anywhere else but California and a brief stint overseas where there was no snow)
Here's my list ( on going)" why snow is better than flood".( mostly regarding farming)
If you haven't lived in the snow it doesn't make sense, but 45 degrees and 93% humidity and wet is MUCH MUCH colder than 10 degrees, 10% humidity and snowing.
I've lived where the temp is below zero for weeks, and I have never been so cold as winters here.
And in the summer here it is only 10 degrees warmer. ever.

1. Animals can stand in and lie down on snow and keep warm.
2. Snow stays put. It doesn't come into the barn. The barn stays dry.
3. Animals can dig through snow to find feed.
4. You can't ski on flood; you can't swim in 56deg water

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home