Friday, January 13, 2006

I am running things now

The other night, while I was looking up forges ( how they work, how to build, etc.) what comes on the T V but "Metal" on Modern Marvels.

I had seen it before, but now that I am expanding into forge interest, I got even more information from the show. I quick put in a tape.
I loved the part where the guy took limestone and broke it up and iron ore and broke it up, melted it in a gas forge. and then beat it into a billet. That was awesome.
I gotta get me some of that meteorite iron.

I am fascinated by the flux part of metals. That oxidation happens so quickly that you have to be constantly fighting it. I mean, in my mind, rust is slow. It is not.

The segment on Aluminum was also really cool.

I can't get enough of this stuff.

Yesterday I got a blade for my hacksaw and I came right home and tried it out. ( After unloading the hay that was still in the truck, as rain was starting)

I am working with a piece of barrel strap I found under the old gas tanks by Pat's house. The grinder will cut it but it takes a really wide kerf. And it's loud and awkward.
I went all out and bought the better hacksaw blade (ooo 7 dollars!!) whuch doesn't really have teeth, but a rough hard edge; it worked really good and cut right through, however also quite loud.
I ground the edges and clamped them together so I now have a loop.

I also shopped the rivet section but found it somewhat unsatisfactory, as all the shop carried were Pop rivet guns. We have one of those around here somewhere ( I'll hunt that up today and play with it) but I was more interested in a rivet set. Don't ask me why.

For the legs of the feeder stand I took one of the mobile home stands that used to hold my milk barn and started trying to work with it. I'm not so sure about this..more experimenting today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home