Sunday, January 15, 2006

Milk/ Welding connection; I Knew It!

O K, I got the welder out of its box and started putting it together. I think it's getting dry/ safe enough out to take it to the ranch and start playing with it.
I thought it had come with flux cored wire and I was ready to go. It did not, so I will have to hunt some up before I can play.

On my Welders group in LJ there was a discussion about welding Galvanized; this is important to me as I figure I will be welding quite a bit of it. The zinc fumes can cause a fever, so the discussion was how to deal with this, and then, I found the ultimate connection:

2. Zinc Fume

While zinc fume is non‑toxic, excessive dosages can result in zinc fume fever ‑ an extremely unpleasant reaction with symptoms that resemble a serious fever. However, recovery is generally rapid and there appears to be no long‑term affects from zinc fumes. Mechanical or natural ventilation or an approved respirator and eye protection should be utilized when welding galvanized steel. Of course, removing the zinc before welding will significantly reduce this concern. Drinking milk can both reduce the risk of getting zinc fume fever, and also reduce the fever if you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home