Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I just love the way the Google ads are linked to my blog. Check out the ad for eBay "Cows for sale. Quality new and used items. Find cows for sale NOW!"

It was about time we finally got out winter break from the rain rain and more rain. It's been clear and sunny, and even warm in the afternoon. It looks like we'll get this lovely break for another week, too!. This weather in February makes me think of clearing the garden spot and sticking some pea seeds in the ground.

I'm supposed to be on my way to Arcata to help at J's dairy, but I am running late. I've had a eye headache for 2 days now, which makes my get up and go in the morning quite sluggish.
I have a doe due to kid as of yesterday, who isn't working on it yet, and I cooked my milk this morning so I am on pot #2.

After spending hours on my fence to keep the fck*ng heifers out of my field I think I have finally gotten the wire hot enough to do the trick. I just get mad at the farmer, who hasn't come to feed them and they are way out of pasture. You can't really blame the cows; they're hungry and the thick green grass in my field looks like a salad bar. But I am tired of the whole fence line being my responsibility, the other farmer should be maintaining half of it. Unfortunately, within minutes of them piling in they have made my green lush pasture into thick brown muddy crap. Cows are big and stupid and smelly and they make mud immediately.
It's as if I had a herd of elephants trample through my garden.
Most of the problem was trying to keep them out while I worked on the fence. It was like the guy who used to juggle plates on the sticks..as soon as I'd chase them out and go to work on the fence, they'd be back so I'd have to chase them out again. Finally, Abby sat sentry and kept them mesmerized while I got the fence back on line.
She worked really hard yesterday chasing them around; first getting them out of the field, then chasing and chasing them everytime they'd regroup and launch another assault.

Cows are NOT user friendly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When asked why I like goats instead of cows, I always answer:

When a goat kicks me, I get a bruise. When a cow kicks me, I get a broken leg. Any questions?

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home