Sunday, February 05, 2006

Welding project #2

I am starting on another project. I have had this big horse hay feeder for years, just sitting in the yard. I've always thought about re doing it for the goats, so it seemed like the perfect candidate for my next project.




It's interesting and educational to see how other prople have solved problems when building something. This is definitely a home built feeder, with a few odd features. My favorite is that the builder used some links off a huge bike type chain as the hinges for the top. The things that can be done, I have only started to see...



Tim built a (one of many) crazy farm contraption a few years ago; it's nick named Mad Max, so you can imagine..
It's a self driven bale wrapper. YOu know those huge bales of hay wrapped in white plastic> He made a wrapper that lifts and wraps the bales, built it on a truck frame. Once when I was looking at it I saw he has used some crazy piece of something, maybe it was a wrench, as part of the steering linkage. It boggled my mind then to even realize that such things can be done.

This old feeder is rusted and crappy in some places. I'm cutting off the worst places and replacing them. I'm making it smaller and better scaled for the goats. However, in grinding off some of the pipes to prepare for welding I still find beautiful shiny solid steel beneath. It's like mining gold..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home