Friday, February 17, 2006

Quigley grows up

Molly blew into town last night and is already gone again.

It was so great to visit with her and the few minutes she spent with me and my colt have really left an impression. She came to get buck kids and goats for her meat goat project, and I got her lined up with breeders. She ended up really scoring a truck full of kiko kids from J and S my landlords, who really were sick of bottle feeding them. So that worked out well for every one. Even me, as I wanted her to help me when I picked up Q's back feet for the first time since he was a tiny baby.

That went as well as I could have hoped, he did nothing, picked up his feet, let me mess with them, put them down. I need to have his feet trimmed and I want to make sure he will cooperate with the horseshoer. He was absolutely as fine as could be about all of that. It's pathetic but I have to buy a hoof pick, I don't even have one, and now I will clean out his feet regularly.

Then I asked Molly what I should be doing with him now that I want to get to riding him soon.
Well it was like having a private session with a trainer on one of the RFD-TV Horsemans show. She showed me how to get him to flex and give his head, and prepare him for accepting a bridle, the next big step.
She gave me lots of encouragement and seemed to think he will be easy to work with as he was willing and soft on the responses he gave.
It was really exciting and I have evem more interest and renewed excitement on the prospect of having a horse of my own to ride again.
Ooh, now I get to shop for horse clothes as I need a bridle!!

Thanks Molly! You are the BEST!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home