Friday, March 03, 2006

If it's not raining, it's draining

I woke up with this mantra going.
Since Tuesday the water has been lapping at my door. Hovering at the point where I am in real trouble, but it hasn't come in yet.
Yesterday morning I was sure I was going to find babies standing in water in their pens and I was planning how I'd move them all up into the dry side of my high barn. Yet I found the water barely in the barn, and everyone high and dry!
Of course this morning, when I feel no panic, is when I will have water in the barn. I was smart on Wednesday night and I restacked all of my hay ( it wasn't really a lot) on top of 3 pallets.

The sheep are faring less well as they are now on a very small piece of ground that isn't submerged. I have been putting hay out for them, something I have almost never done as there has never been any need.
Have I mentioned how timely the extraction of the tractor was?

I could have done without the dead battery yesterday morning in the middle of a downpour. I waited until it was done, and used the opportunity to unload the hay out of the big truck before using it to jump the little truck. I had left my lights on.

Those intrepid housebuilders near the fairgrounds have been working in rain gear in the pouring rain the past 2 days. They are still on the framing. I had envied them working and building like that, but I wouldn't have wanted to have been doing it these past few days.

Ruellia kidded last night with twins; a buck and a doe. She's a few days early, but I had a feeling she was getting ready. I did manage to clip her in time, and the kids, although small, are fine and hungry! Another set of kids out of J's nice buck Tommy.



My next doe due is Rosebud on the 13th; these will be my first Alpine kids of the year. Ears!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home