Sunday, April 30, 2006

Shop envy

I went over to M B's shop today to see what Hoppers was up to. She's been working on her horse trailer, fiberglassing it back into usable shape.
I have never done/ seen fiberglass work so I was extremely curious.

The shop is a huge (60 x 200?)metal building where MB has his shop. A told me he had every tool in the world in there, so I was anticipating something impressive. And I wasn't disappointed.
The shop is absolutely filled with every tool and machine for any type of fabricating/ building you might need to do. This past winter he built an entire logging truck on a semi truck frame, and he did it inside the shop. Milling machines, drills, lathes, and more welders than I could count. Benders, saws, geez it was amazing. And of course material everywhere, including some serious industrial strength sized steel. At the other end of the shop there is a little trailer being built, so I got to check out how they were doing it. That is a lesson in itself. Angle iron used on the angle was an interesting use, and the way some of the corners were fitted was interesting to see.

The fiberglassing is way cool, it adds a whole new dimension to "how things can be done". We discussed how a shape could be fabricated, I have a LOT to think about.

As I was leaving I checked out the logging truck parked in the yard, and of course there is hand built stuff everywhere. On my way out the lane there was a feeder very similar to the one I am working on, with a great solution to a problem I am facing.



I wanted to figure out a way to have a tray or something at the bottom of the feeder to catch the inevitable droppings, and I would like to use plastic of somesort. Here he has used empty teat dip barrels cut in half, which are not that hard to come by ( I might even have one or 2 around). He made the base a bit wider than the feeder, custom to fit the barrels.
Totally cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home