Friday, December 30, 2005

Why do I live here?

Yeah there's a lot going on here. I have tons of "adventures" I could write about. I don't even know where to start.

A plastic horse sweat scraper works really good for a lambs broken leg. The vet looked at me like I had 2 heads when I went in to ask about a splint. He showed me what they use, and it looked just like a sweat scraper. $1.45 and some cotton and wrap and we're good to go.

The sheep are all lambing in this hellacious weather. "Note to self" pull buck out in August so no lambing until after the New Year. It seems to do this every year about the same time.

The river reached 24 ft. I don't remember it ever that high. The bridge into town was closed because the highway was under water. Fortunately made it home via Rio Dell, about 20 miles around.

Kathy's dairy, which is right on the river, was completely flooded; her barn was an island. Her kids went swimming in the road in their wetsuits.

We had a big chunk of a tree stuck in the culvert in front of the house. I managed to sit down dry for a minute yesterday, and that's when the neighbor came by and I was back out trying to work it free. Ted and I had worked on it the night before, moving it enough to let some water through, but it was still there.

I spent most of yesterday ferrying the majority of the goats to the fairgrounds. The sheep were on a small muddy island, lots of new lambs, only 2 dead, which I thought was pretty good. I did bring another one home who is doing great today.

This morning chores went well, they are doing fine so far at the fairgrounds, and the ones left at the ranch are pretty much dry. I even saw a few out on the re emerged pasture grazing. The sheep had a lot more room as the water has dropped a lot, even though about 75% of my ranch remains underwater.

The storm has kicked back up. I should have fed the sheep their hay before the gale force winds and driving rain started up. I always think of that Jim Croce song
"You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't throw hay into the wind".
Can we say alfalfa inhalation?

The river is predicted to go back up to 25 feet tomorrow.
I have been through at least 5 - 100 year floods in the past 15 years

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home