Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Metal ranching

After chores this morning I got right back into the little trailer project.
Usually I have a hard time re starting a project after quitting for the night, but I didn't have that problem today.
I worked for hours cutting, grinding, fitting and welding. It all went great, smooth.
I came home for lunch, to feed the babies in the house and a quick lie down and then went back to it. I really work well under a deadline.
When I went to weld the top piece for the back of the trailer I wanted to pull the sides together as they weren't quite parallel. What I didn't predict were the problems that caused with the back gate fitting. A whole set of problems I never saw coming.

So as of now the trailer is basically done; although I did just patch together the top of the back gate as I don't yet have a satisfying way to do it in my head yet.
But, I do now have to cut some of the back gate so it fits, which involves taking off the gate latch. This is the part of building I find most frustrating. And these kind of problems always seem to present themselves when I am tired and almost done with a project.

It's not perfect, but it's functional and aesthetically pleasing ( well to me anyway).
I learned a lot about metal, and my welder, and how to put things together and in what order ( and how NOT to do it. Duh).

After dropping off the lambs tomorrow I'm going to J's to help her with hoof trimming. She also says she has a pile of scrap metal, and that I can take whatever I want out of it!! SCORE!! I'll have the trailer to fill!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home