Monday, January 30, 2006

More New York nostalgia

Cuervolinda on LJ posted about going to the Kettle Of Fish this past weekend.

KOF is now where the Lion's Head was for most of my life; a bar and my father's home away from home.
It was always a safe haven for any of us, and many major family events were held there, including my father's 60th birthday, when I surprised him by showing up from California, with my new roommate Ted in tow, my father's 70th birthday, and my fathers wedding.
My dad was part owner in it's last few years after Wes died.
In reminiscing I have found that there is now a NYC street sign on Christopher Street that says "Wes Joice Corner". That makes me tear up.
http://www.evesmag.com/lionshead.htm
Wes is gone. As is my dad, and Mike Reardon, another co owner and long time bartender.

Here's a picture of the crew in the old days on my Cousin Eugen's boat as the racing crew. My dad on the left with Cousin Eugene on the bottom. Middle top another cousin Irwin and Eugene's son. On the right is Wes and Mike.
AFAIK they are all dead now, except maybe Eugenes son .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I originally scanned that picture, and even showed it to Dad many years ago. To this day, neither him nor mom has figured out who the fellow in the middle is (definately not a relative). The general consensus is it was some random crewmember for that particular jaunt.

I didn't know about Wes Joice corner, though.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home