Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ridiculous

This has been beyond what I should have to deal with. The barn has had water in it for most of the past week. This is no way to run a farm. My barn with the good roof has water in it. My barn without the roof ( well O K 1/2 a roof) is high and out of the water, and has no electricity. It's like a big joke. Water from below or above, I can't get a break.

I can't even imagine how this project would go if, say, I had a real barn with a roof and no flooding. How my animals would be comfortable and my equipment wouldn't always be in danger. It's just so ridiculous.

I think by this afternoon the water will have left the barn. Until we get another rainstorm. I am not optomistic at all. The only comfort I get is my new babies. They look great, they are healthy and growing well, and, well, they're just so damn cute. They always brighten my spirit.

I had my first Alpines born last night. 6 days early and one already dead when I found them. At least the survivor is a doe ( what was the chance of that?!) The survivor is doing great, in the house with the last set of twins.

And now I feel poorly; I woke up with a headache that no amount of ibuprofen seems to touch.

Well I must have some optimism as I moved the flood refugees back into their pens, seeing as how the water has mostly left. Since the fence is underwater my electric fence is totally off and they are just all over, and I couldn't take too much of that. I need to pile some shavings in their pens so they have a nice mound to hang out on.
Also, optimistically, I am going to try to rebuild the high barn so it is the heart of the farm. It needs complete renovation, but it is the best barn on the place, and it hasn't had water in it since I've been on this ranch. I'll just start picking away at the roof rebuilding as I go. The inside needs to be completely gutted and 5 refrigerators need to be hauled out of it.

Someone needs to buy/ offer/ give me my own flood safe ranch. This one is not acceptable. The situation on the Salt River is just getting worse with no relief in sight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home