Sunday, May 07, 2006

I'm back from the goaty trip to Southern Oregon for the Buck show. I managed to make the trip in around 4 hours each way, which was pretty good.
There was a pool at my hotel room, so after they closed the pool for the night, they let me in, so I had the whole pool all to myself. That was a great way to end the day

My bucks did pretty much as I expected. They are all young bucks, nothing over a year old. My Alpine buck did look very good, and the judges had some nice things to say about him. Younger bucks very rarely win champion, and I knew that going in. In fact in all the lineups for Best Buck In Show I am pretty sure there were no junior bucks or even yearlings.

My little black Lamancha buck Westside did well, winning Junior Champion, but there was no separate sanction for the juniors. Uriah Heep also won Junior Reserve.

My hometown peeps really kicked some dairy goat buck butt, however, and that was almost as good as winning myself.
Fern*View took Toggenburg Champion in one ring and Windy Gap took Toggenburg Champion in another. Beating a really creepy moron of a breeder too.
Perfection Lamanchas took Lamancha Champion in one ring, which was also good for me as I am getting a little buck out of him.

It was a fun show, it was nice and warm, and it was great fun seeing people. I met quite a few people I had only known from online; people surprisingly excited to meet me. That is kinda wierd, stepping out of the computer as they were.
Really fun to spend a whole day or so talking about almost nothin but goats ( and goat people...meow). The semen collector and her mom were there, long time Alpine breeders. They know a thing or 2 about Alpine bloodlines, so it's always fun to talk on and on about bucks and progeny and such.

I brought a basket of my handspun yarn and some needles to put in the raffle, and I was surprised at the response. I seem to be somewhat missing the knitting craze that I knew was going on lately, but haven't tuned in to. I guess I might grab a hold of that before these 20 somethings all have babies and give it up.
The winner of the yarn was one of the judges ( daughter of a long time judge and Nubian breeder) who also happened to be the handler of the new Shining Moon does I just bought, although I didn't get into that connection with her. After she had won she came to me all excited about the yarn, It seems she has been wanting to get some "knitting sticks" and learn how to knit, so she was really thrilled to have won the starter kit I had supplied.

Time to turn some straw into gold, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home