Monday, June 26, 2006

Cheap, Fast and Out Of Control

So I went to the Ironworks that is closer to home to pick up a few little pieces of steel I need to finishe this project. I'd gone in there before, to get a small piece of sheet metal to patch my tractor bucket.

This is a fabricating shop so there's lots of cool stuff going on, and stuff all over being worked on, finished and scrap (ooo such scrap!!).
I asked about steel and I told the receptionist what I needed. A guy in white (!) coveralls overhears and it turns out he's the cutter. He heads out to the shop to see about my order...I want to follow him, the desk lady jokingly tells me not to "it's crazy out there!"

But I follow him, he kinda ignores me. He pulls out the flat bar I need and I want to be sure it's the right gauge, so I go into the shop to get my hands on it.
He wanders around looking for some round tube, and I kinda want to follow. I ask him about it, he doesn't want to talk.
It's O K, I'm not really chatty either.
But what's the deal with the white coveralls? I mean, Super Cutter?

The atmosphere in this shop is not comfortable. The feeling at the Boiler Works, where I had gotten my supplies so far, is really great, comfortable and friendly.

I get what I needed, and the shop is much closer to home, so if I am not going to Eureka I saved some gas. But the steel cost more, the cut fee ( what you pay to have them cut to size) is higher by 25%, and I jut didn't like it.
Granted, there's nothing being built at the Boiler works; it's just a supply place. So I definitely liked seeing all the stuff in the shop, but it wasn't a fun place to go.

Now I think I have everything (but paint) to finish.

In other metal news. the itinerant carnie travelling tool sale is in town; I caught the one in Fortuna. I am kinda in the market for a bigger vise, but on my "junkyard Projects" list I saw a cheap viste that had broken right in the cast part.
So I passed on the vise, but picked up cheap vice grips, welding magnets, and a 1/2 HP bench grinder.
With my poor welds on this project I'd like to be able to clean it up well before painting. I had tried to hand grind some tiny 1/2" square tubing and it was really hard. I hope it's not a piece of total crap. The 49.99 chop saw I bought at the cheap local tool store is definitely working out just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home