Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Sheep fetching

I drove down to Myers Flat, into the summer, to see about a new ram.
The guy with the sheep told me he was just past a friend of mine's place; "just" is an objective word. It was miles, the road became dirt, then one lane and even a bit questionable in a few places. I knew I wouldn't get cell phone out there, so I just kept driving.

He is getting ready to leave for the Black Sheep Gathering in Oregon so his sheep were gathered up and covered.
Romneys are a different type of sheep than the Dorsets Ihave. A wool breed, they are smaller and much more docile ( a good thing).
Since I am new to sheep genetics, the black gene and wool qualities. He is very knowledgeable and even drew me a Punnet square to help figure out percentages of lambs with certain qualities.

Unfortunately he was taking many of the rams that would be for sale to the show, and I was interested in bringing one home now, as I can see I have ewes in season getting bred.
In a pen of lambs there was one ram lamb that immediately caught my eye. The herdsman started telling me about him. He was a kind of small lamb, although his twin sister was a well grown lamb and one of his best out of this years crop. The lamb's dam is also one of his best ewes, but this black ram had had a tough start when born so therefore might not have yet reached his potantial. He had kept him as his fleece was gorgeous, and he was considering him for a pelt ( a product I had never considered..sheepskins. Now there's a new idea..).

He pulled the lamb over and we looked at his wool and it is mouth watering gorgeous. Just what I was looking for in the Romney; open and long, lustrous and a lovely silver color.


I brought him home. His name is Lazy. He's the first sheep I have that has a name. And he's purebred so he's even registered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home