Wednesday, July 05, 2006

4th of July. 1986

My best memories of the 4th of July are when we lived in Westbury , New York.
Every year we would go to the house of a friend ( I seem to think it was actually the people we bought our house from) who lived across the street from Salisbury Park (now known as Eisenhower Park).
Our neighbors also came and there was a huge barbecue in the backyard culminating in , of course, the fireworks in the park. The best part? We got to sit on top of the cars. It was the one time we were allowed to sit on top of the cars. I have no idea why.
I think you have to think of the cars in terms of 1960's cars.

Today is as close to what we might call our anniversary, if we had one. 20 years. That's a lot of years. That's a huge part of my life. It seems like forever, yet it also seems like not so long ago. Life goes by so fast.

I talked to my uncle earlier this week. I knew his birthday was around here somewhere, but I wasn't sure of the date (now I know it's the 7th)so I just called. I miss my family alot. He told me a story I hadn't heard before, about when David was a baby and when they decided to have my cousin, Morgan. I don't have my dad nor my aunt to reminisce with now, and I have talked to my uncle more in the past couple of years than for most of my life, besides family gatherings. I didn't know that he was 9 years younger than my dad. That's a big gap; I always thought they were closer in age.

I talked to Kathy this morning. She hadn't heard about my place getting sold next summer. It impacts them as Tim leases the other 50 acres of the ranch. I was surprised that they hadn't heard.
It seems I am not the only farmer that might get thrown off their place in the near future. Not only are a lot of the landowners old and dying off, and their places getting sold off ( More farmers than I was aware of are leasing) but also with the advent of the Organic milk and the rules about grazing, pasture is at a premium, and so the biggest organic producer is overbidding places for sale and grabbing up farms all over the valley, not making any friends in the process.
And yet another dairyman who left for what seemed like greener pastures in Tillamook is coming back. It seems that farming up there isn't the Oz of Dairyland. For some reason it seems the cows won't graze the pastures like they do here, and most of the feed must be bought and fed.

Tomorrow Kathy and I have a date for more swimming!

And one more note on Independance Day
a good article on Patriotism and religious fanaticism
Put Away The Flags

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home