Saturday, July 08, 2006

Goat farming and humility

So the goat couple came ( they're not a "couple" just a coupla ladies who are farming replacement does) yesterday morning.
When they started this project last year, only just down the road from my dairy, they really didn't want any help from me. They knew all about raising goats, as one of them had raised a few goats once.
I offered help, invited her to come by and see how I did things, to show her my little sheds I build for the kids, etc. She never came and I just let it go and stayed clear. Whatever.

Funny how a year of farming snaps some humility into a person.

They were coming by because they are milking a few does and raising kids, and have been milking squatting on the ground ( which is ridiculous!!) and were looking for me to build a stanchion for them as they had been told that I do such things.
No problem, I'm glad to help ( and get paid) and still interested i helping a fellow goat farmer.
Sure enough they immediately started asking questions, for advice, ideas. I kinda know about this stuff, and if I dont' even just talking to other breeders sometimes you can work out new ideas and solutions. It's been this way since humans have been doing, well , anything.

We looked at the stanchion that I had just built for the 4H family, and I showed them the one I am milking on now. I told them to take the little green wooden stanchion I don't use for now, until they have their own and quit milking on the ground. That's insane.
(it took me about 3 hours to build this little stanchion when I needed one for a show)

They took it and they also bought a nice little lamancha buck. They also seem to have realised that good genetics might be important.

I am glad to help them. There are very few goat farmers here and it's good for us all to kinda keep in touch. Goat networking.
They still seem to think they'll be running a dairy in a few years.
They are both older than me.

In other news
T came by and helped me start the lawnmower. I think it still might be the funky gas problem. I really should completely drain the all of the gas out. I got it started and got my side of the front lawn done.

J came and brought me a bunch of buck kids for me to feed my excess milk to. They are all dam raised and crazy wild and not so thrilled about sucking off of a bucket. I did manage to get 4 of them (out of 8) to drink a bit last night. They should be good and hingry this morning. I don't think today's plans to disbud them will help their attitude towards me, however.

2 days of sun and now the fog is back. I hope the gas station in town is open because I am running on Hanukah gas. I'd like to hit some yards sales..too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home