Friday, August 11, 2006

Friday 6:56 A M

Well one day of the fair under my belt, 3 more for me still to come, culminating with the speed spinning contest on Sunday.
Today is day 1 of the Open Goat show, and I did not sleep well.

Yesterday was spent trimming and clipping the remaining goats. I only have one to go.
Cohyn was a big help, helping me load and haul the milkers to the fair, and working with some of the little does who are not to used to being led.

My pens are tucked away in the back of the barn, which means I am about as far away from the show ring as I could be. Fortunately it also means the no one is bothering me, and I have only had one "what is up with their ears" question.

I know I still have a few goats to tattoo, which might have been the cause of some of my sleeping problems. Worry, stress, well it is just a goat show.
There are a lot of nice goats at this show, and it might be the biggest attendance yet, so I am not expecting to do all that well. I have a few bright spots; my Lamancha yearling, my Alpine yearling milker, my grade yearling.

It was a very very long day yesterday. My thighs ache from standing and sitting over and over while working on the goats. My shoulder from clipping. My back from all that and more.

I do love the fair. I stood in the doorway of the barn in the late afternoon and watched and chatted and just got some good fair vibes. I haven't been to the midway yet, or seen any races. But I'm pretty sure I heard someone calling a race and he was swearing like a guy from the Bronx...WTF?

I have all my chores at the ranch to do, load some hay and bring it to the fairgrounds for those does, and at 8 we get started. 2 of my breeds are right after each other, and I am working with a showman who doesn't know anything about showing.
It might get interesting.

I'm off to get dressed into my show clothes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home