Monday, October 09, 2006

Fiber Fair Sunday

Even thought I did come in 2nd yesterday I was pretty happy about the spinning contest. I beat me closest competition, although he might have had mechanical problems, and I missed 1st place by only 4 yds. The 1st place winner was so far out
ahead of me at Ferndale, knowing I only missed by a few yards was nice. And I didn't go all out the whole time, so I definitely can pick it up a notch. That, and I'll definitely get a speed bobbin for the next one...

The Fiber Fair was quite nice, and surprisingly busy. Cohyn and I arrived about 1/2 hour before the contest so we checked out the booths. He is always interested in whatever is going on, and the drop spindles really caught his attention.
I met couple that raises Angora Goats ( where Mohair comes from) just the other side of Redding and I am considering getting some, if I still have a ranch..
I did buy some of their 70% Mohair/ 30% wool roving, which is really gorgeous.
As far as fibers go, I was looking for some nice handspun cotton, of which there was none. Actually, there was no cotton at all.
I then found some deep blue roving, coincidentally from the #1 spinner who is also the gal who is processing my fleeces. I think I'll spin that and then ply it with one of my soft black fleeces for a nice dark blue/black yarn.

In one of the booths I found some lovely socks, which are a weakspot for me. I go through socks like nothing and my feet are almost always cold, so I definitely picked up a pair. They were only 20.00 so I got to thinking about sock nitting machines, which I knew a very little about. ( it takes me 2 full days of knitting all day to make a pair of socks by hand)

When I got home I did some research and found that there are lots of these little gems out there, and not very expensive. About 100 years ago there was a company or 2 that promoted and sold these machines as a way to make money at home knitting socks.
So there are literally thousands of these out there, and parts are easy to come by.
I even managed to find a YahooGroup that discusses them, and has like 1,000 members.
I'm watching some eBay auctions to get an idea of what they might cost...

Cohyn spent the time back at the house waiting for his parents, and learning to spin on the spinning wheel.
In the evening I spun another skein of Lazy's fleece, and I think I might only have 1 or 2 more and I will be done with that. I managed to get 5 separate shades out of his one fleece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home