Sunday, November 26, 2006

Well I finally have myself a welding table. It's like an artists easel, and I am pretty happy about it.
I made the base out of some heavy 2 X 2 square tubing that I got from Mike's scrap pile. The top is also from Mike, a piece of 1/4" with some angle welded to it; he had been using it for a door, which is amazing as it weighs at least 100 lbs.

I couldn't lift the top myself, so Ted came to the ranch last night so I could put the top on. It's just the right height, and about 4' X 4'.
Tomorrow I will pick up the next steel order and build a few more milk stands. I am looking forward to not having to work on the ground; my back is looking forward to that too.

I am waiting for the rain to stop so I can run out to do chores. It's finally letting up.

Last night I brought Simon to the ranch and at one point I realized he was gone. Then I hear the sheep baa ing and coming into the corral, which is a bad sign.
Sure enough he had sorted out one small lamb and was just following it. He does that, doesn't do any harm, but it's bad and when he came in I whacked him with the wire brush. He stayed pretty close after that. U just need to keep a closer eye on him. I also need to start his training in earnest, as he is obviously ( finally ) ready.

So now I have this lone small lamb who has now run off by itself towards the dike. And it's getting dark.
I let the lamb figure out it wasn't going to get eaten and get it's head back together and I see it running through the hayfield, looking like a little white bunny, with the whole bunch of Tim and Kathy's Jersey heifers following it.

I "baa" at the lamb which seems to get it's attention, then I spend the next half an hour trying to get the lamb to the sheep and the sheep to the lamb.
It was a lovely evening to be out in the field and Abby has decided she LOVES jumping the 4' wire sheep fence. I need to get photos and a video of her doing it, it's pretty spectacular.

Well the rain has quit for now, so I'm off to tend the flocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home