Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Really rainy

I slept with the window open again last night. It has been so warm, it makes me think that this is what winter is usually like in Sonoma County. I'll take it.
More rain today, but we still haven't been getting the brunt of this weather, which seems to be going north of us. I don't mind at all.

I managed to clear out the drainage on the cement yesterday so the water will run out. It wasn't backing up too badly, but I'd like that to continue. With so few goats everyone is so snug with so much room in the barns, it's really cozy in there.

I think everyone is bred now. I have a few AI breedings I am not so sure about, but they won't cycle again for another week or so. It's getting to the point where I'm about to give the shots I give 8 weeks before kidding. Late January I have the first kids.

Josh came right home last night and started cooking dinner. He has been wanting to cook; he commented ( when he couldn't find ANY ingredients) about "no wonder people like cooking in the Deli at the grocery store" because you have everything you need right there.
We had some home grown beef a friend had given him and some yummy fried potatoes. I whipped up an apple pie, but we need to get the oven worked on.

I have ordered a whole bunch of steel, enough to build more than 2 milk stands, and I'm going out in the rain to get it today. Most will fit in my truck, but I ordered a full sheet (4' X 8') of the expanded steel, as they charge 6.00 for every shear cut. I can manage to cut it myself as I have to cut it down from the size I order anyway.
I am hoping it can be laid down on my tiny flatbed trailer.

My one and only nephew will be turning 8 next week, and I haven't seen him since he was a tiny baby. I do call him on his birthday, but his Aunt Sarah is just some faceless voice on the phone. Maybe with the new extra room he can come for a visit someday.

Chores are so minimal now, it's almost like not having my little ranch. I can get everything done once a day in less than a half an hour if I don't linger. I can stand and watch the goats for long periods if I let myself, however.
I have always enjoyed being inside the barn in bad weather. When I was a kid and had the horses I could just lie and listen to them chew their hay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home