Thursday, November 23, 2006

Allice's Illegal Dumping

All of you who are referencing Alice's Restaurant as a protest song, I want to point one thing out.

It was about illegal dumping, probably on private property.

Being someone who lives off of "a side road, and off the side of the
side road there was another fifteen foot cliff"

I certainly would have sent the guy who dumped a whole houseful of garbage on my land to jail, or certainly have fined him heavily. And be really really pissed off.

And then the lie to the police
"Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope
under that garbage."

Now I love Arlo Guthrie as much as the next guy. Heck, he shows up here in Humboldt County on a regular basis.
And I love the song, and I even have an original LP ( although, I do love the pickle song more)

But if you're going to use the song to rally the troops, be careful for what you wish for.

And I hope you don't live off a side road where he comes to dump his garbage on Thanksgiving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home