Sunday, November 27, 2005

Le Bise

I have mentioned it before, I am sick of the epedemic of hugging. I don't enjoy hugging, especially people I don't know or don't even like. How about people I just met. It is undignified and a bit gross. I don't know when it all started, some California thing but it is out of control.
I especially find the hugging-but-don't touch-genitals-awkward hug really nasty. It is just unnecessary and I believe contra productive as it makes me resent the huggers that force themselves on me.

From Answers.com:

"Cheek kissing is a ritual or social gesture to indicate friendship, perform a greeting, to confer congratulations, to comfort someone, or to show respect. It doesn't necessarily indicate sexual or romantic interest. Cheek kissing is more common in Europe than North America (except for Quebec), especially the southern parts of Europe. Cheek kissing is appropriate between a man and a woman, a parent and a child, two women and two men. The latter is socially accepted in Russia and the Middle East but brings up associations with homosexuality in Western Europe and the US.

In a cheek kiss, both persons lean forward and either lightly touch cheek with cheek or lip with cheek. Generally the gesture is repeated with the other cheek, or more, alternating cheeks. Depending on country and situation the number of kisses is usually one, two or three. Hand-shaking or hugging may also take place.

Cheek-kissing is used in many cultures with slightly varying meaning and gesture. For example, cheek-kissing may or may not be associated with a hug. Do not be surprised if somebody kisses your cheek in the countries and cultures mentioned below, but do not try to imitate unless you are intimate with the culture (and the people around you). The appropriate social context for use can vary greatly from one country to the other, though the gesture might look familiar."

So, I am bringing back the cheek kiss, maybe even the double cheek kiss. This is my family's way; we greet with kisses, lots of kisses. Auntie squeeze kisses. Lipstick leaving kisses. Smooch.

A kiss is so graceful and yet so personal. Not awkward. Under control. I don't want your body pressed up against mine, but I will greet you in my sensual way, the greeting that I want. I will force my kiss on you as you have forced the disgusting breast squeezing hug on me.

I won't even falter at the "a handshake..hug..ug awkwardness ..?" stammer... but will go straight for the handshake and kiss. I am in control. No hugs for you!

It's my turn now. I am the old aunt.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This second you start wearing bright red lipstick and smell of baby powder... you will SOOO be looking for a new milk tester. ;-)

I had a hungarian aunt who was a kisser. You sounded just like her in this post. DO you make rum balls you can get drunk from? How's your pound cake? Will I stagger after one peice or will it require two? *grin*

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home