Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Wool bearring mammals

I had a good morning at the ranch; my headache is finally waning.
Both Rosasharn and Kia were in heat; I bred Kia to Marvin and Rosasharn to Uriah Heep. Rosasharn has been bred 3 times in the last few weeks, even after I gave her a shot to try to stop this short cycling. I don't have a doe kid out of her, and as much as I would like to have one, I might have to settle with her son Winfield.

Abby and I gathered up the sheep and put them in the pen with only a little trouble. The new ewes I bought from Kathy knew not where the entrance was, and the 2 ewes with lambs just wanted to stand their ground and challenge the dog. Eventually we got them in and I even managed to get the big calf out of the way.
I grabbed the 2 new little lambs ( more ewes, I'm running about 5 to 1 ewes..) and put bands on their tails. One of the new ewes had gotten a piece of wire wrapped around her back feet, so I got that off and doctored her. It wasn't as bad as it could have been ( or as bad as I had imagined)

I counted all the sheep; there's a total of 49, with 30 being ewes, the rest are yearlings and lambs with a few wethers in there. I'd like to ship a few of these lambs; I am sure there is a good demand for them for Christmas, but since the back window of my truck cab broke, I'm gonna have to figure out how to get that done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home