Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Misery loves company

I went to the feed store this morning to get some hay. The fellow that works there is a cattleman/ cowboy who has numerous leased ranches around the valley where he raises a few beef cows, including a ranch about a mile past my leased ranch on Port Kenyon. He also is my neighbor, living a few miles up the hill from our home place.

I haven't really been talking to the other farmers I share this valley with about the winter we are dealing with. I do know that my other neighbors and friends whose cows I milk occasionally have had a bad year, drying their cows up early in the first flood in December, and having other health problems including losing more than just a few heifers.
It is strangely comforting to know this; that it's not just me an incompetent novice farmer who can't take farming problems.
So while at the feed store I ask AT how it is on his place past mine.
"Wet" he says, his face looking tired and older.
"This year I wish I didn't have any cattle"

Wow, that's quite a statement. I was a little shocked. He's probably raised cows his whole life. His brother also is a cattleman, and I think his parents were ranchers. But this year almost has him beat.

In a strange and not quite understood by me way, I felt a little better hearing him say that. That it's not just me on the worst ranch in the valley having ridiculous water/flood/mud/animal problems.

Today, the water is finally out of the barn. For now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home