Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Steel Where house

Maker-Faire 2006
"We melted another taillight," announced Michael Sturtz, director of the Crucible, after inspecting the blacksmithing forge installed on the rear of the fire truck.

I think I might just have to go to the next one of these..

Yesterday, on an afternoon trip to Eureka, we had some spare time so I thought I'd like to find the steel I need to finish my feeder project.
I have never bought steel before, and I was somewhat intimidated, mostly because of
1. dudeness
andXXXXXX
2. my small pool of information on steel. What did I need to know to get what I wanted?

First stop was waht turned out to be the misnamed "Steel Warehouse" next to the welding supply store. They had about 20 bars (that's what they're called!) of odds and ends.
They were very nice, and told us to try Eureka Boiler Works.

Thai swa more like it, and there were girls to help me! They just sent me into the warehouse and I looked for myself, on the well ordered and Dymo labeled rack, and just where the steel I wanted should have been (1 1/2 X 3/4 tube) was an empty space.

While she called to see if they had what I needed and order some, I wandered the back supply area. Like a candy store. The possibilities are endless! I can make anything!

They ended up ordering a 20' bar for me, to come in Thursday. The price was well under budget, not having any idea what it should cost, having never done this before.

This is an exciting resource.
And finding out the price of steel, I did O K when I bought that bedframe.

Speaking of which, I have now cut one end and ground off the leftover bits. I am ready to start on the other end, but the last grinding session left my ears ringing for hours. I'll bring some ear plugs with me today and get started.
I made a table/clamp for it by bungee cording the tube upside down in a hay feeder. It actually works pretty good. I can let the weight of the grinder do a lot of the work.
So much to learn.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home