Sunday, May 21, 2006

GOAT SHOW!!

The trip to Red Bluff has been done, and it was good.
I made sure not to eat a hamburger from the shade tree barbecue, so there was no puking on the long and winding road back.

Hiway 36, although so so much shorter than the alternative, is quite a haul. Especially with a truck and trailer full of goats and goat paraphernalia (100 lb. semen tank, stanchion, hay, etc). At a few points the road is so steep that 1st gear was the only choice.
But it is a quick trip (4 hours- 120 miles!). I could have done without the rain, and the subsequent rocks on the road, but I think the motorcycle that I followed for 50 miles or so was having a less pleasant ride. maybe not.
I saw a bear gallop across the road not 50 yards in front of me.

The trailer on it's latest incarnation's maiden voyage was perfect, no problems at all.
I got locked in the fairgrounds on Friday night and it took a long quest and a few phonecalls to get out to my hotel room where no they DIDN'T have a reservation, when I stood right next to T when he called.
Oh yeah, maybe the gal who took the call did make a reservation, but she just wrote it on a slip of paper instead of typing it into the computer. At least they had a room and all was well.

The show.
My toughest competition from right here at home was at the show, the breeder that I bought little Victory from. So it was satisfying to find myself in front of him in Ring 2 with my best hope, Tip Top
Also, Victory did very well in her class which was quite large.
In the Grades the 1st judge totally loved Misty, but still didn't place her as CH or reserve, and apologized for not doing it. She was lovin on Misty so much it almost got embarassing. Almost.
Since my herd is young I still have most hope set in my Junior does, and here we did very well.
In Ring 1 (Senn) little Watermark came in 2nd ( I think, it's a little fuzzy) and Wresistor and Wookie were the only does in the Jan kid class. Voyager did well in the yearling class as well.

Then, Wresistor went on to win Junior Lamancha Champion!! So cool!.

I got great comments on my does from both judges. I feel really good about all the does as they all placed very very well. It's really great to have the judges point out your goats strengths and weaknesses, as I don't tend to see either.

Kathy won Junior Toggenburg Champion in both rings with her yearling.
WE all agreed it's a good show when you always have plenty of people behind you in the line up. And I think we all accomplished that yesterday.

Now, on to Redwood Acres in 3 weeks where I have over 20 does entered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home