Thursday, May 11, 2006

Rocky Raccoon fell back in his room

Kia is probably having her kids and I should go, but I have a story to tell.

A few days ago I saw a cat wandering around at the end of my field. I didn't think anything about it.
This morning as I was heading to the ranch I see the cat again, but it's acting kinda wierd. And it looks bigger than a cat. I stop the car.
What is that? It's not a cat. It looks like an otter. Wait, it can't be an otter.
What is that?
It's a porcupine, a little one.
No, it's not.
It's a raccoon, and it's acting really wierd. It's just kinda wandering around aimlessly.
That's bad. A raccoon out in daylight, and acting wierd.
I go to the barn and get the only gun I have ammo for, a .22.

I load the gun and put some more ammo in my pocket.

I walk all the way out to the end of the field, but I don't want to get too close. It's acting really wierd. It's thin and scraggly amd just walking in one direction, then turning and walking around and around like that.
I don't want to get too close, will it attack me if it's rabid? I have no idea so I start shooting.
I hit it, but a .22 barely makes an impact when Ihit it in the side. So I keep shooting. It keeps walking. I reload. The gun jams. I un jam it. I keep shooting.

Finally I get a head shot and it goes down, but gets up again, and I get another head shot and it goes down for good. I can see it's eyes are white and it's blind. It makes a sad whimpering puppy sound and for a minute I feel pretty bad.

Not wanting to touch it, I go back to the barn and call the vet to see if I should tell someone or have it tested.
"Hello? I just shot a wierd acting blind raccoon in my field. Should I do something?"

"Call Animal Control"

"Hello. I just chot a wierd acting blind raccoon in my field, should I do something?"

"Call Public Health"

(anyone remember the cartoon "Le Petite Parade?"

"Hello. I just shot a wierd acting blind raccoon in my field; should I do something?"

"The guy you need to talk to isn't in the office right now. Call this number and leave a voice message".

"Hello...."

He calls me back about 4 hours later. By that time I had already picked it up ( with a shovel and latex gloves) and he tells me raccoons rarely have rabies, that they have never had one test positive in our area and to bury it.

Ha also calls me Annie Oakley. He didn't know it took me about 20 shots to kill the dang thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home