Thursday, June 29, 2006

Just goats

It was a very goaty day yesterday here on the Northcoast of California.

It's hard to remember only 10 years ago when I had trouble finding goats to buy for my dairy.
Yes, right about now is my 10 year anniversary of leasing my little ranchette. It had been a potato farm for the few years before I took it. Before that, it was sheep and bulls. Before that it had been a small grade B dairy.

There were 2 goat dairys in operation around here then, and one was going out of business. The other was a half fast operation which is still operating the same way.
10 years ago there was almost no participation in the dairy goat show; I remember only one row of the barn not even completely filled with goats at the fair.

Now?
The goat show has had to move into the sheep barn because we ran out of room.
There are 4 ( or 5..) dairys in operation.
The cheese plant has moved to a larger facility.

And yesterday
There was a Linear Appraisal at a breeders with 60 goats in attendance.
The Dairy consultant is making his rounds at the local dairys.
I spent the day at J's dairy helping her dis bud kids, and she gave me a 3/4 Alpine doeling out of a doe I bred (A I)and sold to her.

Today
We have our Dairy Doe Replacement project (4th year) blood draw for CAE test at the fairgrounds. This includes a potluck and Lot draw as well.
The consultant visits a kid raising operation ( no, not me).

This area is becoming a dairy goat intensive region.
How much did I have to do with this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home