Saturday, July 15, 2006

Arcata n stuff

I woke up with a headache this morning. So far one dose of Ibu and one of Sudafed has pushed it far enough back to be able to get up..
I'm sure the dark dank fog that has descended has something to do with it.

I am still oohing and aahing over the bronze pour last night. That was most definitely pretty impressive. How can metal be like water?

I think I'll do something really simple and try to cast something out of aluminum as soon as I can. Maybe some goofy plaque; something flat and one sided. And of course if I don't like it I can melt it down again!

It was nice to get out of Fernville and do something different. Of course, the problem is Arcata. Both a curse and a blessing.
I am thankful for Arcata. For creative and thinking people. For the university that brings in outsiders and the money that comes with it to provide stuff like the foundry. For choices in food, movies, bookstores, all the great things that come with a university town.
The curse is the social nature of the people. I can only take an hour or two of the gentle, peace, "diversity" (not), liberal, vegetarian voice. Like my previous post about food, I don't need to be talked down to, to be constantly confronted about my choices, or talked to like I am your child. People talking in groups, but positioning themselves so everyone can hear because they think they are so interesting surely I want to hear what they are saying.
And the people who know it all who start telling the people involved all about what they know, and how they do it. "In my class we..."
Arcata is not a humble place.
I don't think I'll be taking classes there. I'll stick with my Yahoogroups guys.

AArgh. Rant.

In other news
I started the daunting task of cleaning out the barn, and if my headache stays at bay I'll continue to chip away at it.
I moved 2 fat weanlings out of the pen they are dominating ( 2 fatties monopolizing the feeders, 3 smaller does cowering) and into a pen of their own. I'd like to get a bit more weight on the smaller does for the fair.
I've also sorted out the 2 smallest bucks back into a pen, and I'll start feeding the big bucks to get them in a bit better shape for breeding season.

J and the C's are up in Brookings for a show. I decided not to go. Just not in the mood, and I'm not regretting it.

The hay in the hayfield is done and they are starting to pick it up. None was offered to me, and when I asked about buying it, I was told no, none for you. That was a bit irritating. It's not like I had anything to do with it...wait..?
I'll be a bit less responsible about keeping the sheep out. Let them build a fence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home