Monday, August 14, 2006

Fair 2006

Well, it's over. Done.
Last night I was dead. I could still sleep another 20 hours.

Yesterday, well it was woolgrowers day, so that was a pleasant and welcome change.

I started off at the spinning contest, which, in the 15 years since I was last involved, has become a real event and amazingly competitive. The rules had changed slightly ( they provided the wool..) and even though I came in 3rd, I was only behind the 1st place spinner by less than 10 yards (I had 94 yards), and I definitely could have picked up the pace. So watch out for me next year.
I was also the dark horse as no one who was there remembered me from the past. I think it was a bit of a surprise that I did so well.
The whole kibbutzing and social aspect of the circle was unnerving for me, but, well, what did I expect. Small talk actually pains me, and the fair has a lot of that going on. Some one tell me what is the appeal of the small talk? Talking just for the what? What pleasure do you all get from the empty interaction? What string does the chat pluck that makes you want to do it? It irritates me as to hurt.

Now chat for exchange of information I enjoy ( well, a little more anyway) . While listening to a conversation behind me about Merino rams, I realised that it involved me! The husband of the woman who had owned my big black buck was talking about him!
(he didn't know who I was either) . Talking about Merino qualities, buying rams, genetics, he starts talking about a ram I recognise as the one I have had for the past 3 years. Then he says "I don't know where he is now". Well, I have to jump in " I think I have him".
So I got into a good conversation about him, what kind of wool he is throwing in his lambs, and it turns out that he knew that the ram had the moorit ( brown) gene. They never did get a moorit lamb, but after 2 years of lambs, I did get one about 2 months ago. I didn't know that it might happen, however.
Anyway, since I have a new Romney ram, I offered the ram to the guy he was talking to , and it looks like he'll probably take him. That was good, as I was wanting to sell him as I have his daughters and granddaughters so he needs to leave, but I didn't just want to ship him. He's such a nice ram.

Then I finally milked out the does at the fair, and I headed back to watch the fleece judging. That same ram has so improved the quality of my fleeces, that I did better than I have ever done, more dark horse action here. There were more fleeces in the show than I have seen in 15 years as well. It's a cycle thing, just like the dairy goats, it's a fashion trend. I guess I should try to ride this train for a while.

Then the sheepdog trials., I just managed to catch the last 4 dogs. They held it in the indoor arena again for the first time in 3 years. The stands were full and the dogs were awesome. The fellow that has Maggie ( my favorite pretty red and white) just came up and started talking to me. That was odd.

I am selling all of my Lamanchas to J. She took Ms Man, my permanent Grand Champion, and verdigris straight from the fair, as well as Ms Man's dry yearling daughter.
A few will go to the new dairy here in town. Maybe I'll go by there and see how close they are to milking.

And now it's time for breeding season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home