Thursday, November 02, 2006

I I I I I

Well it is wet out, and it occasionally falls from the sky, but it really isn't quite raining...yet. The dust is wetted and settled and seems to be mostly washed off of my car, but I don't think it's enough to get the pasture to grow. More is on the way, they say.

And even more earthquakes. Over 30 since Sunday night, the last few are now centered on our very own faultline, and they are bigger; 2- 3.+ overnight. Cool. What the hell?

I sold a wether to a local retired guy yesterday. He had all sorts of stories about both the '55 and the '64 floods, as he worked for the County Road department then. Sounds like that little goat is going to a pretty nice home.

I learned that not all steel is the same yesterday. A new piece of Schedule 40 pipe almost didn't fit into a piece of 1" square tubing, when in the past that same steel fit loosely. It's a good thing that what I build is not all that precise and my tolerances are large...but still.

I spun the blue dyed roving I got from the Fiber fair into a rather thick 2 ply, and I have been knitting myself another hat ( to cover my Halloween haircut). The thick yarn made the knitting very hard and dense and cramped my hands and made my fingers sore. I finished it last night, thank the knitting god, and I am now wearing it, although with this rain the weather has turned very warm (60+). It's thick and hard like a helmet, and definitely will repel the rain.

I have put the ewes with their new lambs in the front pasture, and last night I threw together a small pen so I could gather them up and deal with them. The newest fresh ewe didn't "clean up" ( still had retained afterbirth) so she needed some doctoring.
I got a hands on look at the new lambs, all of which , it turns out, are ewe lambs. I swear my ewe to ram ratio is 3:1. In this new crop is another lovely chocolate, or "moorit" ewe lamb, my 2nd ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home