Thursday, December 15, 2005

Peat Fires= BAD

I thought it was a bad idea , but I started my burn pile on top of the manure pile anyway.
This is an old pile with years of grass and weeds on top.
I have started the whole thing on fire and I can't put it out. It is burning very slowly but really deep.
Today I took the tractor and dug around thinking I'll open it up then smother it.
I left the tractor there because it still didn't go out and I might need to dig some more..

This has been burning for 2 weeks.



Then I found this in the Wiki

Peat fires
Increase, and change relative to previous year, of the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide.
Enlarge
Increase, and change relative to previous year, of the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide.
Smoke and ozone pollution from Indonesian fires, 1997.
Enlarge
Smoke and ozone pollution from Indonesian fires, 1997.
Fires on Sumatra, 2004.
Enlarge
Fires on Sumatra, 2004.

Recent burning of peat bogs in Indonesia, with their large and deep growths containing more than 50 billion tons of carbon, has contributed to increases in world carbon dioxide levels. Peat deposits in southeast Asia could be destroyed by 2040. Peat in the area contains up to 21% of the world land carbon deposits.[1] [2]

In 1997, it is estimated that peat and forest fires in Indonesia released between 0.81 and 2.57 Gt of carbon; equivalent to 13-40 percent of the amount released by global fossil fuel burning, and greater than the carbon uptake of the world's biosphere. 1997 was unusually high, however. These fires likely are responsible for the boost in the increase in carbon dioxide levels since being noticed in 1997 [3] [4].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home