Monday, January 30, 2006

Lamb bam thank you ma'am

It's raining! Wow, how unusual!

I'm pretty much done now with this first round of kidding. One more doe due @ the 7th, then none until the 19th or so.

I spent yesterday morning watching Naboo labor and cleaning and straightening up my milking space and my shop space.
Cleaned and swept the milk room all out, I might even go so far as to paint my stanchions soon, if we get enough dry weather so that it's dry by the next milking.

Right before the flood, I had done all of this. I spent hours straightening up the shop, I made a little platform and dry spot for my tiny refrigerator. It seems that all this attention and ranch love is what caused the flood, so I am a bit worried.
In the flood, my little refrigerator first was submerged, then it floated. While it was plugged in, before the power was torn out by the windstorm. It floated around and came to rest on its side. I hadn't even dealt with this until yesterday, and on a whim I set it upright and for fun plugged it in. How surprised was I that it not only started humming, but minutes later it was cold inside? Like a little flood milagro.

No kids from Naboo so I went home for linch and watched "Project Runway" catching up on the episode I missed.
Sure enough when I went back I found the triplet DOES!!! I can only remember one other set of triplet does, although I am sure I have had others.

As I drove to the barn I could see a new lamb that just wasn't doing well. I scooped him up and took him to the barn to warm him up a bit. I took a bottle of Naboos colostrum and got it into him and left him in the warm car while I fiddles with the triplets. By the time I went back to the car he was alert and head up and calling ( weakly) for mom. So I put him back in the field with his mom.
Later that evening when I went back, he still wasn't looking so good so I repeated the operation. I even ran the heater on him, elthough it wasn't really cold and he wasn't wet, he was cold in his mouth and his feet.
This time he actually sucked a bottle and looked even better.

Molly called during all of this with a goat question; we talked for a long time.

I put the lamb back with his mother, but I am not expecting him to be doing well as it started raining this morning.

So I have 5 baby goats in the house for a few days; Naboos triplets and Shock TT's twins ( buck and doe).
So far I am running 6 does, 3 bucks.

Off to do chores and try to find a good metal drill bit for my trailer project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home