Monday, April 10, 2006

I donated a buckling to a fund raiser; he was won by a woman who runs a dairy in Nevada. Now the trick was to figure out how to get him there.
I was kinda looking forward to taking him so I could see her operation. She has 2500 does and milks about 1000 per day. I have NEVER seen an operation like that. The biggest dairy I have been to was milking about 400.

Earlier in the week she had sent me an e mail that she might have a ride for the little guy. This seemed unlikely and I imagined she had no idea where I lived. No one goes from here to there about goats that I wouldn't know. It's a long way to anywhere from here; we are TOTALLY off the beaten path, by about 4 hours.

Well I got another e mail yesterday; SF will be driving to her place to buy a load of doelings! SF, the mom of the gal who apprenticed/ worked for me before starting her own dairy. She lives right here in town. What are the chances of this buck getting a ride? I'm going to play some slots, it's luck with me.

Rain on and off. And rain. and not. NO complaining, I'll take occasional not rain. At least it's something.

MF took a load of bucklings to the sale barn in Petaluma. He was coming by my place at about 4 AM, so I just left my 5 in my little trailer. I hope they're not there when I get to the ranch. I had to go to C/S's to Scrapie tag their kids. Why am I the only one with tags?

I did some metalwork yesterday, building a little gate for an odd sized hole in my corral fence. I'll try to finish it today, then figure out how I am going to hang it.
I moved the 3 largest doe kids outside to a pen yesterday, and put some fresh shavings down for them. They are just a bit freaked out.
Dewormed all but the Alpine yearlings in the front field.

Vreiss had twin bucks. Her udder is not beautiful. The whole bunch will be leaving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home