Friday, June 30, 2006

Chapter 1 scenes 1 and 2

Yesterday.
It was a dizzying succession of interactions and experiences and emotions.
Mid afternoon I had to think to remember what I had done earlier in the day.

1.
My lamb buyer needs more lambs than I can supply, and as I'd like to keep him happy and under my control (bwahaha) I can also make points by involving other people and selling their lambs at the good price, and I become the middle man.
So yesterday I went to a "sort of friend" goaty type and got some lambs.
I knew she raised lambs so I had talked to her about it months ago. The timing was good as I am about out of the right sized lambs, and I was planning on hauling 2 yesterday.
However, I didn't know what to expect. Had she gotten the tails off? Were they in good condition?

When I pulled up to the corrals where thay had already caught, sorted and weighed the lambs out (awesome!!), I was very happy! These are great looking lambs in good flesh and good size. Clean.
The corrals were really nice, on cement, and easy to load from.
They even got the lambs in the trailer for me.
It was as good as I think it could have been.

Oh, I forgot this part (see what I mean about not being able to remember everything that happened?)
As I was leaving the ranch with the little trailer, I was about 1/2 a mile out and the trailer jumps off od the ball and starts whipping around and crashing into the truck; I had forgotten to put the lock on the hithc. Thanks god I remembered to puton the safety chain.
So I stopped and went back to put the trailer on ( after my heart stopped pounding) and i couldn't quite get it back on 9 it's always a snug fit anyway..)
As I'm banging and jumping on it, G T and Mrs GT pull up besides me and ask me if I need some help.
"....maybe..."
He manages to get the hitch back on. When I mention that I probably won't forget to do that again, he doubts it. Thanks, George.
I knew that when I mentioned this to anyone that day I'd hear all of their trailer horror stories. And I was right.
And I thought about J N who had a horrible trailer accident with 2 horses in the trailer out on old Arcata Road many many years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home