Friday, August 18, 2006

Last weekend of the Fair

I am still wanting to sleep sleep sleep, but I managed to fight it off yesterday and skip a nap.
Tonight is our project Doe show, and tomorrow the year culminates with the Doe auction. And then I am done. I am no longer on the committee.
I was one of the original members of this committee ( and the only original mamber still involved) and it is just not happening, in my opinion.
It has been a good experiment, but the focus has been lost. I think the industrial strength nature of a commercial dairy does not translate well to what the kids are involved with. But should that matter? Well, I guess to me it does.
I think the leaders, most being 4H, are not translating their kids experience to the commercial aspect of the dairy industry. 4H has never been something I was ever interested in. And the responsibility lies so heavily on the individual leaders, who are not supervised.

I made a cheesecake and some garlic butter and I'll make the chocolate cheese this afternoon. I'll drop it all off and hopefully I can skip out as I have no interest in this evenings activities. Showmanship kinda gives me an uneasy feeling. I really don't like it. I have no idea why.

Tomorrow is the sale and this year I am not buying any does. There are no Alpines in the sale ( bad) and I am getting out of Lamanchas. The doe of mine that is in the sale looks really good, and did very well at last week's show, so I will be interested to see who buys her, as she is out of my very best milker.

Saturday is usually our day to run around the fair, bet on the horses and drink beer. I am not really in the mood for that. I just don't enjoy drinking, I wish there was another option that wasn't so toxic.

And then the fair is over for another year.

Summer is over. It already feels like fall. I need to start getting things ready for the rain to return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home