Friday, November 17, 2006

Goat semen, Tuna. And earthquakes. Ah, California

It seems ( for now) the little earthquakes we have been having for a week or so have stopped. They seemed to stop right after that big one near Japan/ Russia 2 days ago.

That probably caused me to have that earthquake dream this morning right before I woke up at 5). It was a huge quake, but my house was still standing, although a lot of the hill behind it had piled up behind the house, to the 2nd story.
Everyone was O K.

After chores yesterday I loaded up 2 fat lambs to take to the slaughterhouse along with a 5 month old wether goat. The lambs were ordered, I was hoping to sell the wether. Those lambs were wet and dirty and I was a mess when I got in the truck.
Strangely, when I parked in town to get a coffee before I left, not one person seemed to notice the funky trailer with lambs. That's Ferndale.

The butcher ( nicknamed "Butch", of course) wanted a larger wether goat, so he stayed in my trailer as I traveled up to Arcata.
There I spent a lovely afternoon trimming hooves at the dairy. It may be strange, but I do enjoy doing this. Hanging out with J, getting done what needs to be done, and of course gossip and goats. If I had been organized I would have remembered my gloves and not have had to quit when the blister started.

I got rewarded with a sack full of home canned tuna (YUMMY!!!!). And M overpaid me for the wether, so I'll send another their way when the next one is big enough.

Their place looks really good right now. They have a lot more roof up, there's loads of dry inside space, and the goats all look in really good condition. There's a roof up over the alfalfa, and a HUGE tarp over their giant stack of grass hay.

All in all a pretty good day.

This evening or in the morning the semen collector is coming. I also am sending 3 more fleeces to Whitethorn, courtesy of a ride down in the morning on the wool express.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home