Sunday, December 18, 2005

It's almost Spring!

The weather here has been so clear and dry for so long ( so unusual in December) that the lawn has been growing almost as much as if it were spring.
A few weeks ago the lawn on my side of the driveway was dry enough to get mowed.
Since then it has grown so much it actually needed re mowing, a long with Pat's side of the driveway and various other spots around the ranch.

Over the past few days I have pulled out the mower everyday and tackled yet another piece of the yard, which, although long, fortunately wasn't very thick, because it was still pretty damp and wet. My little lawnmower gets clogged easily, and I have had to develop techniques to free the blades and under the bed.

The yard now looks fantastic, all mowed and tidy and fresh and green. I even moved the hay wagon and mowed around it. I mowed the little strip that grows down the middle of the drive where the truck tires don't squash the grass down. I mowed along the drive, and even the front of the barn's fresh new grass where I scraped out the dirt and mess with the tractor a few months ago.

I think this year I might try to get a bagger for my mower; the clumpies of grass are marring my vision of the perfectly mowed lawn. This will be a new development for me.

Reading about people shoveling driveways I think I might get as much satisfaction from shoveling snow. I sure love mowing the lawn; I always have. I was mowing the yard in Eureka when I was 8 months pregnant. I love love love the look of a well mown lawn. My mower (s) and I have had always had a good relationship, rarely do I have a problem where they won't start at all.

A new storm has come in and it looks like it'll be rainy most of the week. I am really glad I got most ( there's always more to do) of the lawn in good shape, and that it can go without mowing for a while. And it looks so lovely and tidy.

December/ January in California means the Calla Lilies are blooming, the Narcissus are up and starting to bloom, the buds are appearing on the trees.

With Winter's arrival, Spring isn't far behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home