Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Yankees and a rain delay

I think the Yankees signed Johnny Damon just to get him to cut his hair. Good Job guys!

It's so unbelievably warm, we even let the fire go out last night as it was just too warm in the house. I see that it got over 65 yesterday. Good for the pasture and the flowers and the firewood supply, not so good for skiing.

Amy came over yesterday for milkings for my monthly milk test. It's nice to get to see her at least once a month and catch up on all things goaty. We had a lot to gossip about.

I did catch a lovely long break yesterday afternoon, where the sun even almost appeared. I noticed a few dry patches on the cement. The water in my field is still very far from the barn, and I even ditched a spot to get some built up water to drain! Draining !!!
I am still breeding some does, now I am down to the 05 kids and I am almost done. I'd like to have them fresh by the Redwood Acres Show in June, so these latest breedings will just do it. I bred 2 Alpines in this past week along with 2 outside does. That leaves only 2 open Alpine doelings, and more than a few Lamancha doelings to be shown as dry yearlings. More than I would like, but that's O K.
I might still breed some of these last lamanchas in January if they gain enough weight.

J came down bringing me some hay and taking her Alpine back that I A.I. bred. She has done something new with her hair which really looks cute! I Like it! She called me later in the day with even more goaty gossip..it's a very small goat world here in Humboldt, there's no escaping.

It looks like this rain will continue well into next week. Things are snug and dry where all is concerned except my poor sheep. The new lamb has barely been dry in her whole life, and I am pretty sure I have another ewe due to lamb any moment. At least it's warm for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home