Sunday, March 12, 2006

Warmer, but still no sun

This morning it's 50 degrees out and no sign of frost. No sign of the sun either, but no rain.
My tractor, after it's rescue from Creepy Lagoon Island, seems to have no clutch. I talked to Tim yesterday and he gave me some tips on how to work it free. I'm going to have to pull the battery out and charge it first, also get some diesel ( closest diesel is in Fortuna) then I'll give it a try. The amount of tractor work to be done grows every day.

I thought I had a great bit of goaty gossip, and it turned out that Amy already had it. Dang. It's still a good bit, though. I got a call yesterday, from the mother of the gal who worked for me in my dairy years ago; she was training for her own dairy which she has since started. It seems the mom (S F) who has inherited and run a cow dairy for about 5 years, has decided to sell the cows and transition to goats next winter; she called me looking for does to buy.
Wow, this is big local goat gossip news.

I have 3 does due coming up this week, with a few to follow before the end of the month.
Ted brought me home 2 more big boxes so I am set up for more new babies. The ones here in the house, now that the weather is warmer, will go to the ranch today.
I started putting tools back in their place now that the water has quite receded, and maybe will stay well away from my barn. Of course, rain is coming in this week. But, I need to get back to work and finish the feeder.
My little trailer turned out to be even handier than first thought. In the flood I had housed some of the little babies in it and that worked out well. During yesterdays milk test I needed a baby goat proof pen to keep the dam raised kids locked away from their moms for 24 hours, and the trailer worked perfectly.

I woke up this morning thinking of my bucks, and now that breeding season is over I think I am neglecting them. This week I'll work on them, worming, shots and trimming their feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home