Friday, June 30, 2006

Chapter 2

After dropping off the lambs my truck wouldn't start at the slaughter house. It has been threatening to not start for months, but it always did. Then, it wasn't a threat anymore.

Fortunately the guy who weighed the lambs was "Middle Aged Guy with tools" who was happy as can be to help me out.
After not too long he had me jumped and I was on my way home.

I managed a brief nap without unhitching the trailer at home because I needed it for the evening.

Before 5 I headed to the ranch to pick up does that had to be blood tested as replacements for any does that were Positive for our project. So I gathered up 3 of mine and 2 of J's and headed to the fairgrounds for the Blood Draw. I was assigned as the "reader of the tattoos".

I was in no mood for this mess, but it went relatively O K. The local breeder always has the worst tattoos and hard to read and some not even complete, but for the 3rd year when I point this out, they seem offended and Insulted, instead of glad I was pointing this out (as I would be) and maybe ask how to make a better tattoo? (I have a fair idea of what their mistake is)
OH well, when the does win a CH leg and the judge can't award it because the tattoo isn't good, then they might see the worth in this.

Oh, so who shows up at the blood draw but J N who I had earlier mentioned as the bad trailer accident person. Her son is very involved in goats this year, so I actually had been surprised that I hadn't seen her before this. For years we were very very good friends, oh about 8 years or so ago.
Sure enough after talking to her for about 5 minutes my thought was "she hasn't changed one bit. she's exactly the same as she was 8 years ago" ( when I ditched her)
That was a bit surprising and a bit of a momentary time travel.

After the blood draw is a Pot Luck and the Lot draw for the auction. I never had any plans to go to it and I didn't even go to the hall. I am sure I didn't miss anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home