Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Month of dad

This period between Fathers Day and what would have been my dad's 80th birthday ( I had to really think about this as it didn't sound possible) has me thinking a lot about him.
Last week I was complimented twice about my trailer backing up skill, a skill that my Dad taught me, as we spent many weekends at horse shows when I was younger. He'd stick me behind the wheel long before I had my license and had me hauling and backing up that trailer.

As a child I was always more interested in tools than dolls, and I really appreciate my dad letting me be me. He bought me a baseball glove, when it was what I really wanted. When I was 12 I got a set of Hot Wheels, Oh man I remember how happy that made me.
My dad made me change my own tire when I got a flat, so I would know how to do it ( and so I could change his as well...)
He got me a motorcycle.
For my birthday one year I got a gift certificate to a huge hardware store.

I think for a man to have been born in the 20's, who obviously appreciated beautiful and feminine women, to still understand that I was who I was, and he still wanted me just to be happy, I think this was a big thing.

I still have some tools he bought for me. It is comforting to know that my Dad really knew who I am and it was fine.
I wonder if he's having fun watching me with my new metalworking projects and the cool tools I have been acquiring. While I work I often thank him for teaching me what he did and supporting me.

He NEVER told me I couldn't/shouldn't do something because I was a girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home