Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you?

i just remember that 1) the horrifying feeling watching those towers fall and knowing all those people were dead and hearing people in my office screaming 2) it was the most beautiful september day 3) none of the street vendors had any water 4) i couldn't even look at anyone for days on the street after that because everyone was so sad and if i saw someone sad or crying i would cry 4) i had a lump in my throat for weeks afterwards 5) it seemed like those towers were burning forever



As someone else mentioned, it was such a beautiful day that day and I remember taking the escalator up from Liberty St. to the south pedestrian walkway and looking up West St., at the Trade Center, at everyone walking and running on the street, and took it all in. I just thought it was such a beautiful morning to be a New Yorker -- and then it all went to hell.


It was my first week of living at college at Pace University on Spruce St (in front of City Hall) I woke up to the first plane - our windows were filled pane to pane with the towers, being so close. I stared up and said this is unbelievable. The shcool told us it was a small plane, an accident, and that we should carry on. And being somewhat naive and never even letting any other thought into my brain, I followed accordingly and went to class. Thats when the second plane hit and my professor screamed: GO MOTHERFUCKERS- RUN! RUN! The school broke out into pandemonium. I ran down the stairs and saw people streaming passed a girl in a wheelchair crying. I stopped and picked her up and carried her down, while someone else behind me carried the chair. After that I ran out and the gray cloud seen on TV swooped onto the block and I couldn't breath. Panicked, I ran down the block into another buildings basement basically accepting death while women and children - and some men - weeped. What-a-day.




I got to work early that Tuesday morning. As I prepared for the start of my day, my supervisor walked over to me and said that a plane had just hit one of the towers at WTC. I couldn't believe my ears, so he pointed to the tv set in his office... the first plane was in the building. I ran to my desk to call my mother and before I could inquire about my uncle (who happened to work down there) she she suddenly screamed, "oh my God... they did it again! They hit the other building".

Hearing my mother so distraught and realizing what was happening to my beloved city, I just broke down. I can't properly verbalize the fear and unfathomable sense of hopelessness and despair I felt that morning. The uncertainty, the confusion, the anger, the melancholy...

It's now five years later and I still cringe when a plane flies overhead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home